Journalists threaten to fight Indonesia censorship
By ROD McGUIRK
Associated Press Writer
JAKARTA, Indonesia, Dec 14 (AP) - A journalists group threatened
Tuesday to fight a ban on the war movie "Balibo" with a constitutional
court challenge if the Indonesian government enforces its countrywide
Earlier this month, Indonesia's censorship board banned the screening
of the award-winning Australian movie, which depicts Indonesian
military atrocities in the East Timorese border town of Balibo in the
weeks before the 1975 invasion of the former Portuguese colony.
Since then, the Alliance of Independent Journalists has been showing
the movie in venues around the country, and sales of pirated DVDs are
flourishing without police interference in markets in the capital,
Police spokesman Col. Untung Ketut Yoga said the government ban cannot
be enforced until police receive written confirmation of its terms
from the government.
Andreas Harsono, founder of the alliance, said the journalists will
lodge a constitutional court challenge if the government takes the
next step of enforcing the ban, which was instituted Dec. 1.
"This is all the legacy of the Suharto regime that we are trying to
scrap piece by piece," said Harsono, whose group began as an
underground free speech movement under the Suharto dictatorship, which
ended in 1998.
The movie, which claims to be based on a true story, depicts
Indonesian troops murdering five unarmed journalists in Balibo to
conceal Indonesia's involvement in East Timor ahead of the invasion.
The reporters were citizens of Britain, Australia and New Zealand.
Australian police have launched a war crimes investigation into the
incident. Indonesia maintains that the five were accidentally killed
The Robert Connolly-directed movie, starring Anthony LaPaglia, was
withdrawn from the Dec. 4-12 Jakarta International Film Festival due
to the ban.
The constitutional court has lifted bans on five politically sensitive
films about East Timor and Indonesia's restive Aceh province that
prevented their screenings at the 2006 Jakarta film festival.
A lawyer who helped win those challenges, Christiana Chelsia Chan,
said she believed the Balibo ban was similarly unconstitutional.
Such a court challenge would be the first test of Indonesia's new film
censorship laws, passed in October. The laws are the first revision of
censorship regulations since the Suharto era.
Film festival director Lalu Roisamri, who submitted "Balibo" to the
censors, welcomed the prospect of the court appeal. He said freedom of
speech was going backward in Indonesia.
"I'm afraid so, because I think the government is paranoid," Roisamri
Connolly said he had given copyright permission to the alliance to
screen his movie, but that the DVDs being sold in markets were
illegal. He said he had been "naively optimistic" that the government
censors would allow the movie to be screened at commercial cinemas.
"Indonesia is a democracy now, and certainly there is a whole
generation of people in Indonesia who are engaging in their past, as
you can see from the response to the film," Connolly said, referring
to the popularity of the pirated DVDs.
The censorship board said it banned the movie because of its
"questionable objectivity" and "potential to open old wounds."
The movie will be released worldwide next year.
Associated Press Writer Irwan Firdaus contributed to this report.
[This message was distributed via the east-timor news list. For info on how to subscribe send a blank e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. To support ETAN see http://etan.org/etan/donate.htm ]